I’ve been experimenting with mixology and have come up with something new; it’s light, refreshing, and probably the healthiest thing with booze you’ll drink this summer:
- 1 quart watermelon juice
- 1 quart strawberries
- 5 limes
- 1 pint cubed cantaloupe
- 1 pint cubed honeydew
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 bottles of Prosecco
- muddler (You could use a potato masher. But you should really buy a muddler.)
- half-gallon container
- large mixing bowl
- Serious cocktail people own one of these.
- Wash and hull the strawberries; as they drain, use the muddler to reduce the melon to mush. When it starts looking like baby food, add the berries and keep muddling through.
- Slice 3-7 large basil leaves into strips and add them to the fruit.
- Use a citrus press to show those limes who’s boss: “Whose juice is this?” (squeeze) “Say it! Say my name, citrus!” (more squeezing)
- Spoon mashed fruit into a strainer and extract as much juice as you can. I used a French Press, but a salad spinner would have been easier.
- Funnel the juice into a sealable container; add sugar to taste, along with some water to boost the volume slightly. I added enough to make it a full half-gallon.
- Pinch off a sprig of basil and roll it between your palms to release the oil, then drop it in the container and refrigerate.
For maximum flavor, prepare this agua fresca several hours ahead of time. When you’re ready to serve, pour juice and sparkling wine in equal proportions.
I’m having a devil of a time coming up with a name for this drink; if you try it, post a suggestion in the comments.
À votre santé!